Thursday, December 2

fruit mince brownies



When I saw the December/January issue of delicious displayed in my local newsagent, I felt both utterly elated and sorely disappointed. Elated: the cover is simply gorgeous. Disappointed: I don't have a copy! Elated: So, so many Christmas recipes and gift ideas. Disappointed: If I don't have my copy, and it's already in store, that means my subscription has officially ended. You get the picture.

Of course I bought it straight away, and have since poured over its pages repeatedly since this time last week. I love Christmas desserts that incorporate an element of Christmas cheer into my already favourite sweets. The recipe of last year was Christmas pudding ice cream (again, courtesy of delicious), and this year it's the fruit mince brownie. I plan on making my third batch in a week this coming weekend. I know what you're thinking, but just for the record, I've only had two servings though I could certainly have a lot more.

Ingredients (serves 12 generously)
Recipe courtesy of December/January issue of delicious.

200 gms good quality dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids)
300 gms brown sugar
250 gms unsalted butter
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/3 cups plain flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup cocoa, plus extra for dusting
1/3 cup fruit mince
1 tsp mixed spice
1 cup toasted walnuts, chopped


Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease a 22cm square cake tin and line with baking paper. 

Place chocolate, butter and sugar in a medium saucepan over a low heat, stirring until melted and well combined. Remove from heat and cool slightly. 

Stir in the eggs, followed by all other ingredients and mix until combined. Spread into the tin and bake for 25 minutes until just set. Allow to cool in pan, then dust with cocoa before cutting. 

These are dreamily rich. If you think it will be borderline too rich (what, are you crazy?!), maybe omit the dusting of cocoa. Second time 'round, I upped the quantity of fruit mince, making it closer to 1/2 cup - maybe even more - and they still managed to set fine, but were of course even more moist. You could also increase the amount of mixed spice if you want a truly festive, spicy taste. 

Now I'm dreaming of making fruit mince brownie ice cream! Aaaah!





Recommended baking soundtrack: The 6ths - Hyacinths and Thistles.

7 comments:

  1. I haven`t even had time to open my copy of Delicious yet, must get to it soon. I think maybe after xmas I will make these brownies ( keep some fruit mince) no time before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh Amber, these look fantastic! I think I'm going to have to make these this weekend :) Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made them!! Amazing & it makes quite a big serving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robyn: they are so quick and easy, though! All it takes is one saucepan, too, which I love the most. But I know how busy you'll be with all your other cooking.

    And Jana, glad you tried them! Amazing indeed. Like I said, three times in a week :/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw these over on Diary of a Ladybird and had to pop over here to say thanks for the recipe too!
    Was drowning in leftover fruit mince but now I know exactly how to put it to good use :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me due to some issues.

    I did everything to get him back but nothing worked.

    I contacted a relationship doctor i saw online.

    I told the relationship doctor everything that happened,

    He promised to fix my relationship.

    My relationship was restored just as promised,

    My Ex-boyfriend is back and promised never to leave me again

    I am the happiest lady on earth,

    Never too late to fix your broken heart.

    You can still get your lover back...

    Fix broken relationship/marriage...

    Thanks a lot🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹

    address:::::: R.buckler11@ gmail. com

    ReplyDelete